HMX Fundamentals Courses
Apply now for the next HMX Fundamentals course period.
The HMX Fundamentals series features courses on foundational topics important for a variety of health care careers, including biochemistry, genetics, immunology, pharmacology, and physiology. Our next course period begins April 9, 2024.
Upcoming course periods
April 9 – June 21, 2024 | Apply now through March 19
Partial tuition waiver application deadline: Tuesday, March 5 at 12 noon US ET (HMX Fundamentals only)
June 4 – August 16, 2024 | Application opens March 20
September 3 – November 15, 2024 | Application opens May 15
Each course is 10 weeks long. New lessons are released weekly, and material remains available until the course closes. Expect to spend 3-6 hours per course per week.
US$800 for an individual course
US$1000 for a two-course bundle ($500 per course)
US$1425 for a three-course bundle ($475 per course)
US$1800 for a four-course bundle ($450 per course)
US$2125 for all five HMX Fundamentals courses ($425 per course)
Certificate of Achievement
Certificate of Completion
Learn foundational physiology concepts like partial pressure, compliance, and supply and demand, and see how they relate to the working of biological systems – and to patient treatment.
Understand how the innate and adaptive immune systems function to protect the body – and see how key immunology concepts are linked to the treatment of disease.
Learn key concepts of genetics as they relate to inheritance of disease, population-specific risk, and genetic testing – and see how increased knowledge of the human genome is applied in clinical settings.
Understand fundamental biochemical principles like the rules of energy and cellular specialization – and see how these concepts apply in real-life scenarios and clinical settings.
Understand how drugs act in the body, and see how pharmacology principles are applied in clinical settings and in drug discovery and development.
You can create the bundle that is right for you by selecting which courses you want to take when you apply. While it is possible to take any bundle of concurrent courses, suggested possibilities include the following combinations. Note: Courses in a bundle must all be completed during the same course period.
Five-course or any four-course bundle
For those who are committed to seriously preparing for programs (for example, medical, nursing, PA, etc.), taking four courses or all five courses represents the best overall value. If you follow this route, please plan to set aside several hours per day to get the most out of the courses.
- Immunology, Genetics, and Biochemistry – If you are interested in learning Genetics and Immunology, but don’t feel fully confident in your knowledge of the molecular and metabolic foundations of health and disease, take this bundle.
- Physiology, Pharmacology, and Biochemistry – Take these three courses to understand the physiological basis of various diseases as well as the basis of their pharmacological treatment. Knowledge of biochemistry will give you deeper grounding for what you learn in Pharmacology.
- Immunology and Genetics – Advances in genetics and immunology are leading to an improved understanding of disease, and translating into better diagnostics and treatments. With this course bundle, you will gain an understanding of these rapidly evolving fields and how they relate to the practice of medicine.
- Physiology and Biochemistry – Most disease processes have a physiological and a molecular basis. With this course bundle, you will gain an understanding of processes at an organ system level and tie this knowledge to an understanding of molecular and metabolic foundations.
- Physiology and Pharmacology – Select this bundle to understand the basis of many conditions at an organ system level as well as the pharmacological principles underlying treatment.